Photo gallery

Map

Fränkischer Steinsarg

Tourist-Information Mülheim
Hauptstr. 60
54486 Mülheim an der Mosel

Tel. 0049 6534 9487 34
Fax 0049 6534 9487 35


Email
Internet

Description

The stone sarcophagus displayed in the Protestant church was found right next to it in 1958. Consisting of reddish sandstone the sarcophagus was previously raided and presumably dates back to Frankonian times. Since Franconian sarcophagi usually are trapeziformed this exemplar might be of late Roman origin and have beer reused by Franconians. Already in 1941 two typically Franconian trapeziformed sarcophagi were found on this spot: a child’s sarcophagus and a larger one. The latter one contained a sword, fire steel and parts of a 7th century belt as burial objects, whereas the child’s sarcophagus was raided. Today, the burial objects as well as the child’s sarcophagus are kept at Rheinisches Landesmuseum in Trier.