The entire complex was besieged, rebuilt and expanded several times over time. Already recognizable from afar is the tower, the so-called keep. Parts of bay windows, living rooms and niches are also preserved. The castle has an almond-shaped floor plan. It was built on remnants of a late Roman fortification, before it was destroyed by French troops Louis XIV in 1688 in the Palatine War of Succession.
From the Lower castle is a wonderful view of the village rooftops and the low-lying Moselle Valley.