Photo gallery

Map

Doppelkreuz / Kapuzinerkreuz

Wein- und Ferienregion Bernkastel-Kues
Gestade 6
54470 Bernkastel-Kues

Tel. 06531 500190
Fax 06531 5001919


Email
Internet

Description

For centuries, a cross with two crucified figures has stood here. The original, baroque double cross dates back to the year 1750. It was destructed in World War II. Today´s double cross was inaugurated in 1953. It is a work of Sculptor August Julius Lebensted from Kröv. “This cross, adorned with statues of two women, of which one displays highest female perfection and the other teaches that even from the greatest human weaknesses there is a way to break free, is directed to the entrance and the exit of the city.” (city mayor Dr. Anton Ley in his inaugural speech on June 4, 1953)