Photo gallery

Map

Katholische Pfarrkirche St. Briktius

Kirche St. Briktius
Weingartenstraße
54470 Bernkastell-Kues


Email
Internet

Description

The history of the parish church in Kues can be traced back to 1258. It is documented that the Holy Mass was celebrated for the parish members on the occasion of the festival of St. Michael on September 29 in 1258. In 1463, Pope Pius II enacted that the rector of the Cusanus Foundation also took over the function of the parish priest of Kues. In doing so, he followed a plea of Nicholas of Cusa (Cusanus), who was a close friend of the bishop. Clara Cryfftz, Cusanus´ sister, donated a baptismal font to the church in 1473. The church was rebuilt with a tower of 48 metres height in 1784. When the population grew, the call for an own priest for the parish grew louder. In 1909, after 445 years of personal union with the function of rector of the Cusanus Foundation, Johann Schmitt became the first independent parish priest of Kues. The foundation stone of the extension of the parish church was laid on July 26, 1921. Already one year later, on June 24, 1922, the parish church, which gained a cross shape due to the remodeling, was consecrated by Bishop Fr. R. Bornewasser. From 1968 until 1969, the parish priest Walter Stümer instructed further renovations. Master builder Karl Peter Böhr from Trier and architect Wilhelm of Kölln from Kues planned and executed additional restoration and renovation works of inventory and church from 1991 till 1997. On June 22, 1997, the diocese bishop Dr. Hermann Josef Spital consecrated the new ambo and the new altar of parish church St Briktius. (source: www.pfarrei.de <http://www.pfarrei.de>)