Not far from Bernkastel-Kues, directly opposite the wine village of Zeltingen-Rachtig, holidaymakers in the Moselle region can come and see "Hofgut Stift Klostermacher". It was founded as a Cistercian monastery in 1238, subordinated to the abbey of Himmerod. From 1395, Machern monastery had market rights and jurisdiction. People came there for the funfairs as well as the mass on the day of Cornelius. Rachtig, or Machern, was the Moselle harbour of the Eifel, the port of Wittlich. Most importantly, the iron products of the iron mine at Salmtal were loaded here. Apart from that, the tanners from Malmedy took the ferry at Rachtig to get to the leather market with their carts. On this occasion, they bought some of the famous red wine of Rachtig and took the “Weinstrasse” (wine road) back via Wittlich, Prüm and Malmedy to Flanders and Brabant, where they delivered the wine.
In the cause of the secularization in 1802, monastery life came to an end. The Ellinkhiuzen and Grach families were farming and growing wine on the premises up until 1969, when the Schneider family bought the estate and renovated it, until it was resold to the family of Günther Reh in 2000. It hosts numerous places to go for leisure activities like a restaurant, the monastery park, a historic toy-, doll- and icon museum and the monastery brewery. During concerts you can enjoy the excellent acoustic of the baroque hall.