Photo gallery

Map

Märtyrerkapelle

Märtyrer-Kapelle
Tourist-Information
54347 Neumagen-Dhron

Tel. 0049 6507 6555
Fax 0049 6507 6550


Email
Internet

Description

The Martyrs' Chapel between Neumagen-Dhron and Trittenheim is a memorial site of this religious fanaticism. As legend has it, the blood of the Christians of the Theban Legion murdered on the Marsfeld in Trier turned the Moselle red right up to the location of the chapel. The Martyrs' Chapel was built by Count Salentin of Isenburg and his wife Elisabeth of Hunolstein between 1506 and 1510. There had been a cult site of the Thebans, presumably since the 6th century, at this place.