Museum Noviomagi, archäologischer Rundweg und Lauschtour
Scenes from everyday Roman life, which can also be seen on the famous Neumagen grave monuments, such as the "rent payment" and the "hairdressing scene", are recreated in the museum. The exhibition attaches great importance to realistic colours, shapes and details. Two rooms are furnished with magnificent wall decorations. Original finds such as clay vessels and stone fragments from tomb monuments are also on display.
The circular route, which was financed by the municipality of Neumagen-Dhron and the Heimat- und Verkehrsverein, and worked out with the collaboration of the Rheinisches Landesmuseum Trier, opens up the course like the still visible remains of the walls of the late antique fort. In addition, the individual stations of the circular route, marked by information boards, show replicas of the most important reliefs discovered in Neumagen, which have earned the municipality the title of "Rheinisches Pergamon".
Unfortunately, the remains of that imposing late antique street fortress had already been largely demolished during excavations between 1878 and 1885 because of the grave monuments skinned in their foundations in the IhRchäologischer Rundweg (click to enlarge! ), so that at first sight today, apart from the lines of houses, which lean against the former fort wall, especially on the north side, and the course of the streets, which is partly identical with that of the former fort ditches, little reminds of the ancient fortification. It was all the more surprising when, during excavation work in 1997, the supposedly demolished tower P on the northern flank of the fort was uncovered again. The round tower, still up to 2 m high, rests on an equally high rectangular foundation, the lowest layer of which is formed by a layer of reused cuboids (spolia) with half-roller-shaped covers. Since the four mighty undecorated cuboids did not form "spectacular tomb remains", they remained in place, so that this area was saved from destruction. The remains of this fort tower therefore form the best preserved part of the late antique fort.