Photo gallery

Map

Ortsgemeinde Briedel

Ortsgemeinde Briedel
Im Weingarten 20
56867 Briedel

Tel. 0049 6542 4640


Email
Internet

Description

Briedel has a heart for its guests - more correctly so a "Briedeler Herzchen." Because that is the name of the well-known wine location of the wine town and also the name of the wine festival which attracts its visitors on the first weekend in August wit h specialities and fun from the Moselle countryside. Emotions run high when the daring and dashing "Skippers" in original dragon boats put their all into gaining speed on the Moselle. Even before the establishment of Briedel more than 1000 years ago, the Romans cultivated wine there and pressed the grapes on the opposite side of the Moselle. The Briedel Ferry still crosses today so that the discovery place of the facility can still be viewed today. Briedel is a place to live in and (fall in) love (with) but also to look and wonder and impresses with its historical buildings. The Eulenturm (Owl's Tower) for instance, a watch tower dating back to the Middle Ages, where owls had taken possession of the ruins. From there one had a good view across Briedel. Until 1880 the tower was used by night watchmen as an observation post to wa rn the population of fires or foes. The catholic parish church of St. Martin, built between 1772 and 1776 is also well worth a visit. It has the most beautiful ceiling frescos, Stumm organ and the high altar. Visitors interested in historical halftimber houses should not forget a camera an d make tracks for the Graf-Salm-Straße. On the Haus Goeres, built in 1593, you can see Gothic window jambstones and a house sign. The upper storey is decorated with rosettes dating back to 1621. A real jewel is the Haus Gibbert with its half-timber oriel and the statue of Johannes von Nepomuk. He is an important patron saint along the Moselle, as he protects boatmen, raftsmen and bridges and defies water dangers. The ideal ambience therefore to celebrate the jury meal (Schöffenmahl). Briedel showed less "heart" in times gone by - at least for sinners. They had to go past Stations of the Cross to the mountain chapel. According to local lore, the steep ascent was their last walk. A gallows stood not far from the chapel, the sinners bei ng led to it after a last prayer in the sinner's hut. But that is a long time ago!