Catholic Church of St. Peter
Catholic parish church "St. Peter"
The classical church of St. Peter in Zell (Mosel) was built from 1786-1793 in the former cellar gardens in front of the lower gate of medieval Zell and now stands in the centre of Zell.
The church is built of red sandstone and is one of the most magnificent of this classical architectural style in the Mosel valley. The interior dates mainly from the Rococo period. The high altar dating 1787 built in the shape of four columns supporting a baldaquin was created by the sculptor Matthias Höpp from Trier. In the side altar there is the most beautiful and most precious decoration in the church - a late Gothic Madonna figurine. The representation of the crowned heavenly queen holding baby Jesus is carved out of wood. According to experts this sculpture is probably the work of an artist from the North Rhine area from about the mid-15th century. The sanctuary lamp, an example of beautiful Rococo art, and the late Gothic font were both originally from the old church in the cemetery. The octagonal font is 1.21 metres high and is decorated with three-quarter columns and cloverleaf arches with the inscription ANNO DN 1461. The church windows are especially worth seeing and they were donated and inserted in 1907.
Parish community Zelller Hamm
56856 Zell (Mosel)
Phone +49 6542 4536
Fax +49 6542 61187