The imposing complex of Schloss Thorn is the oldest castle vineyard in the Moselle. A ford over the Moselle below the castle was the reason why the Romans erected a watchtower on a jutting cliff. It was after this tower that the castle was named.
Over the past two millennia the complex was extended, rebuilt and reconstructed, so that today the architectural style can clearly be seen running from the Middle Ages through the Renaissance and the Baroque period up to the Imperial style. After the Romans the castle was in episcopal and archiepiscopal ownership, until it was sold in 1534. It has been in family ownership ever since then.
The castle features a 400 year-old wine press room with an enormous tree trunk press.