City tour Saarburg
Saarburg is a town located on the romantic banks of the river Saar surrounded by vineyards and forests. Many sights attract guests from afar.
Saarburg is a town located on the romantic banks of the river Saar surrounded by vineyards and forests. Many sights attract guests from afar. The main attraction is the impressive waterfall which can be heard from far way with its roaring and gushing. In the middle of the town, the peaceful river flow turns into a magnificent spectacle of nature, crashing over 20 m of mighty rock cascades into the depth and turning the mill wheels in the valley basin. Colourful parasols, tables and chairs of the restaurants surround the pulsing centre of the waterfall.
People with time to spend are quickly enchanted by the narrow, winding streets with Mediterranean flair, by “Saarburg’s Little Venice” with its delicate and detailed bridges over the Leukbach, the picturesque old town with its colourful fishermen’s cottages and boatman’s houses, and the bell foundry below the mighty castle.
In addition to the many sites, Saarburg also offers extensive leisure activities. For example, boat round trips on the Saar, city tours with the Saartalbahn, rides on the summer toboggan run or the chairlift in lofty heights.
The flight demonstrations in the Greifvogelpark (bird of prey park) also promise a special experience.
In the following we offer a selection of guided tours, sightseeing and leisure activities for groups in Saarburg.
Further information and booking on this page:
Classic city tour
Together with a tour guide you explore the many sights of the city of Saarburg. The historical tour includes, among other, “Saarburg’s Little Venice”, the Schleif viewing point, the St. Laurentius church, the waterfall, Buttermarkt, Haus Warsberg, the castle and the old town with its colourful fishermen’s cottages and boatmen’s houses.
- Costs: 40 € group price (in German); 46 € group price (in a foreign language); Night surcharge from 19:00 h: 20 €
- Languages: German, English, French, Dutch
- Info: maximum 25 persons; groups over 25 persons should please book more guides according to the number of guests.
- Duration: 60 - 75 minutes
- New: XL city tour, with even more detailed information; duration: 90 minutes; costs: 60 € group price (in German) or 66 € group price (in a foreign language)
Medieval city tour
Immerse yourself in Saarburg’s over 1000 years of history and visit the eponymous castle. Follow the trail of medieval times through Saarburg’s narrow alleys and town squares. Your tour guide, dressed in historical garb, will tell you adventurous, amusing but also terrifying stories about the beginnings of the city and the colourful medieval life in the castle and alleys.
- Costs: 65 € group price (in German), up to 25 persons); 71 € group price (in a foreign language); Night surcharge from 19:00 h: 20 €
- Languages: German, Dutch
- Information: On request, the tour is offered with mead and bread snacks (price according to number of participants).
- Duration: approx. 70 minutes, with mead and bread: 90 minutes
Night Watchman tour
Together with a night watchman tour guide you explore the many sights of the city of Saarburg. The historical tour takes you through the illuminated city and includes interesting anecdotes from times gone by. Surprise included.
- Costs: 90 € group price (in German, up to 25 persons); 96 € group price (in a foreign language)
- Languages: German, Dutch up to 25 persons
- Duration: 90 minutes
City Tour with the Saartalbahn
City tour through Saarburg on a tourist railway. On this ride, you will learn interesting facts about the many sights of the city via the loudspeaker system (only in German language).
- Travel times: daily, except Mondays, from Apr. to Oct.
- Costs: Group price form 15 persons, adults 5,5 €; children (4-12 years): 3,5 €
- Duration: approx. 30 minutes
- Information: The train can accommodate up to 50 persons. The Saartalbahn can also be booked for special group trips.